Thursday, February 13, 2014

Making My Own Badge of Honor

I didn't take the "traditional" route to motherhood.  I became a mom through a gradual process that became official in 2010 after years of hard work leading up to it.  My child was 4 when I became the official parent.  But I've loved my daughter, Taylor, from the moment she was born, but she wasn't born to me.  My husband and I have guardianship.

For years now I've dealt with awkward moments and explanations of "Well, I'm not her real mom..."  And every time I'd say that, I felt like I was betraying my own heart.  After all, I did the same job as a "real" mom... but that's not my title.  In trying to cope with this insecurity, I tried to bury the feelings and just let things be...

Several times in the last few years I've been made to feel like less of a parent because I didn't carry my child in my stomach or endure childbirth or breastfeed.  But I have changed countless diapers, been peed on, pooped on, thrown up on and given hundreds of baths.   I've kissed every boo-boo, dried every tear and spent many sleepless nights making sure my sick baby was okay.  I've made my needs secondary to Taylor's in every arena.  But somehow even if I could let go of my own insecurities, I'd still receive comments from friends and family that belittled my position:

"But when will you have children of your own?"
"Where is her real mother?"
"Well, when you have your own you'll understand..."
"Well, as a mom, I can tell you..."

I'd think to myself, "What?  I already have a child of my own! Who are you to ask such a brazen question?  You don't know anything about MY motherhood journey."  But I'd smile politely and pretend it was okay.  Or walk away.  I'd resolved that motherhood was a club I would never be a part of and that that was okay.  I'd never wear the badge of honor called "mommy."  I wouldn't join any "Just Moms" groups because that would mean having my mom-ness judged.  I told myself that even though I'm not called "mom,"  Taylor still knows that I am the one who has done the job. And her recognition is all I need.  And it's true.  It is the only recognition I need.

But... I think I've had enough.  I am Aunt Kelsey and I'm SO proud of myself and my husband- Uncle Luke.  I'd argue that we might work harder at parenting than a lot of biological parents!  Whatever the case, we love our daughter with every fiber of our being and every plan and decision we make centers around our daughters well being.

I am claiming my own badge of honor.  I'm an amazing parent.  I'm an amazing mom.  And I'm ready to tell everyone that with no shame and no explanations. 

4 comments:

  1. YOU are an AMAZING MOM too! I believe your actions define who you are in a childs life and I've seen you in action! Congratulations, on your beautiful baby girl!! Love and miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Angela! You've seen us through some of the rough times and I appreciate your support so much!! Love and miss you guys too! We'll have to set something up soon. We have Valentine's for you!

      Delete
  2. Kelsey, you are an amazing mom. There are thousands of other women around the world who carry your same badge of honor. You've given that baby a chance to know a mother's love. You keep loving your baby with the truest heart of a mother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Charity. It feels lonely sometimes since it's not the norm for most people. But I am working on feeling more comfortable in my position. Thanks for the encouragement!

      Delete